Thursday 11 April 2013

Final Evaluation 2- How does your media product represent particular social groups ?

How does your media product represent different social groups?


I am comparing the band that I created for this project, The Genesis (Right), against Two Door Cinema Club (Top Left) and Foals (Bottom Left).

First of all, all members of both bands I am comparing mine to, are male. Both my members are male and this show I have followed a convention in the Indie/Alternative genre, as most artists are male. Male artists will appear to both male and female audiences and will be able to attract large audiences.

Also, the hairstyles of the band I created are also very similar to those of the existing bands with the member on the left of my band having a long fringe which is a conventional hairstyle for this genre as proven by several of the members of both bands also having long fringes.  This point proves that my artists are being portrayed as Indie/Alternative artists.

Furthermore, the member on the right of the band I created has facial hair. I found this to be a common convention during my research and planning section of the course and therefore I chose a model with facial hair to comply with this convention.

The image of Two Door Cinema Club is taken against a brick wall, I have noticed this to be a common backdrop for photos of artists in this genre so I have incorporated this element into my final product when taking the photos of my artists as this shows the audience that the genre of the magazine is Indie/Alternative.

The difference between the two existing bands and the one I created is the amount of members in the bands. I opted for only two members in my band as I think this works better on the cover as too many people in a band would lead to too many people on the cover and this could seem overcrowded and make the front cover look messy. I have been unconventional with this choice and I believe it to have paid off as my front cover is not over crowded and has some neutral space.

The artists I have created will positively influence people (particularly with the target age range of my magazine 16-30) within the music industry to succeed in what they are striving for. My artists are positive role models as their story featured in the double page spread will encourage people to continue with music. However, I have photographed my models smoking as I believe it adds to their entire persona and completes the look I was trying to achieve to attract the target audience but this factor may be considered a negative influence to readers of the magazine as smoking is considered bad for peoples health. On the whole, I would consider my artists to be a positive influence to those who read the article featured on the double page spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment